B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate hosted the 2017 Corpus Christi edition of the American Homebrewers Association’s Big Brew. Three teams from the Bay Area Association of Homebrewers (B.A.S.H.) brewed the AHA’s selected recipes for this year in an outdoor, public demonstration. The B.A.S.H. canopy was fully erect by 11:00 a.m. to provide shade.
Two new members joined the fold during the event – Sean O’Connor of the U.S. Navy and Stephen Reddin. Stephen joined Philip Mooney to brew an all-grain, decoction mash version of the AHA’s recipe for “Klang Freudenfest” Oktoberfest lager. Paul Holder and Mark Quade made an extract version of “Rushmore” American IPA. The third AHA recipe, “Battre L’oie “ Saison was produced by Vic Aguilar, Mark Anthony Gonzalez and Rusty Keyes. At high noon, El Presidente Daniel Fearn led us in the traditional global synchronized toast.
The brews went well, with the only fiasco being Paul’s hurried trip home to fetch his hops. Naturally, Paul uttered the only ridiculous comment of the day – “I need a female partner, my thermometer’s not long enough!” By 3:15 the extract beers were done. The all-grain brew took another two hours. The finished beers can be sampled at the June and July meetings.
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 21-May-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (NOTE: 3RD SUNDAY, John Daniels)
- 11-Jun-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (William Lee, extract competition, BJCP open category)
- 9-Jul-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, hosted by Paul Holder)
- 13-Aug-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Brad Klager, British golden ale/Australian sparkling ale competition, BJCP 12A-B)
- 10-Sep-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Mark Woerner, brewing demonstration)
- 8-Oct-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, pale malty European lager competition, BJCP 4A-C)
- 4-Nov-17: Iron Mash XIV (team brewing competition)
- 12-Nov-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, brown British beer competition, BJCP 13A-C)
See you at The Daniels’!