The January B.A.S.H. meeting was held in Flour Bluff on Sunday the 8th, hosted by Tom and Rocky Freund assisted by co-hosts Aggie Bill and Dianna Hughen. El Presidente Daniel Fearn was working at his OTHER job, so Vice President Mike Wojdyla presided. After fending off coup attempts by Travis Clapp and Sabrina Krueger, he called the meeting to order. Treasurer “Cretaceous Carroll” Pate was off on another embezzling junket, so stand-in Paul Holder extracted dues from new member Rusty Keyes and reported a bloated club balance. Guest Bryan Cook joined after the meeting.
Paul gave an update on the BJCP judge training. Advantages to the club include the following:
- Better judging for club competitions
- Entering better beers in outside competitions
- Develops a core teaching group in the club
- Name recognition of the club increases regionally and nationally
The $40 cost for taking the test will be covered by the class attendees. We need a master level judge to administer the test (BJCP judging levels progress from provisional to recognized to certified to national to master). A motion was made, seconded and approved to use $200 of club funds to pay for ½ of the airfare to bring a judge in from Kansas City.
Another motion was made, seconded and approved to pay our $100 annual club AHA dues. Check out battleofthe brew.com if you are interested in entering a competition in late-March.
The main order of business was judging the beers produced during November’s Iron Mash XIII team competition. In 1st place were the Fusterclucks (Phil Mooney/Cody Martin/Brent Falwell). Their amber ale scored 142 points. The Repeat Offenders (Mark Quade/Mark Woerner/Micah Cole/Terri Loe) captured 2nd and 3rd with their California brown ale (140 points) and East Coast brown ale (119 points). The winners proudly donned their bling medals and held the Iron Mash trophy on high!
As the meeting adjourned, we feasted on tamales and chili blanco. Besides the competition beers, we quaffed down new homebrews from Paul (British best bitter), William Lee (British brown ale) and Jeremy Van Horn (prickly pear pale ale). Cory Mathews provided a Lazy Beach Chocolate Stout.
As the evening grew long and chilly, the die hards gathered around the fire. The party was still going strong when your humble narrator slipped away at 10:30 p.m. …
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 12-Feb-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Walt Crawford, Dark European Lager competition, BJCP 8A-8B)
- 12-Mar-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Chris Swanson, brewing demonstration)
- 9-Apr-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Daniel Fearn, specialty IPA competition, BJCP 21B)
- 6-May-17: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 21-May-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (John Daniels, note: 3rd Sunday)
- 11-Jun-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (William Lee, extract competition, BJCP open category)
- 9-Jul-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate hosted by Paul Holder)
- 13-Aug-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, British golden ale/Australian sparkling ale competition, BJCP 12A-B)
- 10-Sep-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Mark Woerner, brewing demonstration)
Thanks again Tom, Rocky, Aggie Bill and Dianna, welcome Rusty and Bryan, congratulations Fusterclucks, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at the Crawford’s !