Walt and Judy Crawford hosted the February B.A.S.H. meeting on Sunday the 8th at their home in King’s Crossing. Club President Cory Mathews called the meeting to order, welcoming new members Steve and Kathy Indrelunas. Treasurer Carroll Pate gave us the same old, same old report. Paul Holder corrected last months’ statement that home carbon filtration systems will not process more than 0.72 gallons per hour of water. They WILL, but will not remove all chloramines if used at a faster rate. Carroll reminded everyone that the pig roast at his home in April will be a massive feast, so bring your feed bags. In new business, we congratulate Jason and Sarah Merry on the birth of their daughter Emily.
The competition this month was for Fruit/Smoked/Wood Aged beers, BJCP categories 20A, 22A-C. Results are as follows:
- 1st – Daniel Fearn, pineapple pale ale, 174 points
- 2nd – Mark Quade, chipotle American red ale, 167 points
- 3rd – Paul Holder, raspberry amber ale, 158 points
- 4th – Claudio Montiel, orange citrus wheat ale, 126 points
While the judges pondered the competition beers we dug into King Ranch chicken and tasted new homebrews from Walt (American IPA), Daniel Fearn (pomegranate blonde), Tom Freund (Kölsch and porter) and Jason (barleywine). The most exotic commercial beer was Daniel Fearn’s Blackbeard Premium Roatan Ale.
Random comments to digest :
- Sabrina Krueger “Chipotle is a fruit”
- Carroll “After three weeks it started throbbing”
- Carroll “How do you compress it enough to get it in?”
- Carroll “It must be hydraulic”
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 8-Mar-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Lou Needleman, brewing demonstration)
- 12-Apr-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Carroll Pate, pig roast, light hybrid beer competition, BJCP 6A-D)
- 2-May-15: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate?, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 17-May-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (John Daniels?)
- 14-Jun-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Daniel Nutting, English ESB/Pale ale competition, BJCP 8C)
- 12-July-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, hosted by Paul Holder)
Thanks again Walt and Judy, congratulations Jason, Sarah and Daniel, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at Lou’s!