Carroll and Judy Pate hosted the April B.A.S.H. meeting and MASSIVE PIG ROAST on Sunday the 12th. All present had a good time, except perhaps for the pig. Club President Cory Mathews called the meeting to order and thanked pigmeisters Richard Pate and his girlfriend Chris. Other guests in attendance included babies Emily Merry and Neal Mathews, Sean Sutherland (Texas State Aquarium), Paula (Terry and Monika Caldwell’s friend) and Carroll’s friends Hatcher and George.
The club treasury is unchanged from last month. Teams for the upcoming Big Brew are Cory/Drew Burkhardt/Claudio Montiel (all-grain barleywine), Travis Clapp/Andrew Herzig/Sabrina Krueger (all-grain pale ale) and Carroll/Mark Quade (extract Kölsch). In other new business, Cory announced the impending move of his Lazy Beach Brewing Company to Bichon Road (near Rodd Field and Yorktown). Tom Freund encouraged new members to get involved with competition judging.
Speaking of which, the competition this month was for light hybrid beers, BJCP categories 6A – D. Paul Holder’s “Cubano” cream ale earned 2 points for 1st place, Andrew/Sabrina’s blonde ale scored 1 point for finishing a close second and Paul’s Kölsch came in 3rd (no points awarded). After two competitions, the race for Homebrewer of the Year is up for grabs – Daniel Fearn and Paul each have 3 points, Mark Quade has 2 and Andrew/Sabrina have 1.
Needless to say, the pig didn’t stand a chance around that many famished trenchermen. As we squealed with delight and oinked vociferously, we swilled from a keg of Paul and Wild Bill Lehfeld’s “Travisty” Scottish abomination ale (last month’s demonstration brew)and another keg of Carroll and Bob Davis’ B&J’s Hairy Porter clone. Other new homebrews included Cory and Drew’s cucumber saison, John Daniels’ German light, Craig Gann’s robust porter, Wild Bill’s “Angry Shtup” California common, Jason Merry’s session IPA, Carroll’s ginger ale and Chris Swanson’s Irish stout. Lou Needleman brought some New Mexico beers, including Santa Fe Pale Ale and Nut Brown Ale, and Marble India Pale Ale.
Hidden microphones picked up the following gems :
- Carroll -- “I don’t use much chemistry when brewing beer, I use yeast”
- Paul – “I play around with it now and then”
- Tom – “You gotta keep up with your orifices”
- Jessica Fearn – “You’re my favorite husband yet”
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 2-May-15: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 17-May-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (John Daniels)
- 14-Jun-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Daniel Nutting, English ESB/Pale ale competition, BJCP 8C)
- 12-July-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, hosted by Paul Holder)
- 9-Aug-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Daniel Fearn, <4% ABV aka Session Beer competition)
- 13-Sep-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Mark Woerner, demonstration brew)
- 11-Oct-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Andrew Herzig/Sabrina Krueger, sour ale competition, BJCP 17A - F)
Thanks again Carroll, Judy, Richard and Chris, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at the Daniels’!