Daniel and Jessica Fearn hosted the February B.A.S.H. meeting on Sunday the 14th. El Presidente Sabrina Krueger called the meeting to order and welcomed new members Lee and Stephanie Lehman and guest Michelle (Sean Sutherland’s friend). Disgraced former president Travis Clapp wished everyone a Happy VD from his exile on the island of Elba.(He’s serving a life sentence for crimes against humanity and sheep).Treasurer Carroll Pate delivered a sterling report with his usual panache. Paul Holder related a recent article from Brew Your Own magazine, explaining why beer foams up in a frozen glass. The ice has a jagged surface which provides nucleation sites for CO2 to come out of solution, hence the foam. Sabrina urged everyone to start thinking about forming teams for May’s Big Brew public brewing demonstration. We’ll have more information at the next meeting.
The competition this month was for meads, 2015 BJCP categories M1 – M4. After the judges scrutinized nine entries Paul Kalaghan’s cranberry tangerine melomel emerged victorious, earning 3 points. Mark Quade’s pyment tied with Andrew Herzig/Sabrina’s entry for second place, earning 1 ½ points each.
New homebrews from Walt Crawford (American IPA), Bob Davis/Carroll/Chris Swanson (chocolate stout), Jim Hildreth (triple hopped pale ale/spiced Scottish ale), Paul H (prickly pear wheat ale), guest Lee (Irish red ale) and Jeremy Van Horn (coffee pale ale/blackberry raspberry pale ale) accompanied our feast of lasagna and Italian green beans and artichokes. Interesting commercial beers included Micah Cole’s Lindeman’s Framboise Lambic, Brad Klager’s Jester King Snörkel and Brooklyn Local 2, Cory Mathews’ Lazy Beach Session IPA, Lou Needleman’s Big Bend Terlingua Gold and Twisted X Cow Creek Mexican Dark and Sean’s Dogfish Head India Brown Ale and Railroad Seafood Station Red IPA and Vanilla Porter.
As usual some interesting exchanges were overheard …
- Anonymous – Can I smell it, Carroll? Carroll – You can do more than smell it!
- Paul H – I’ve got a sweet melomel. Mark Q – Sounds like a girl I knew in high school!
- Walt – I’m not sure how it works. Chris – It goes in the hole, probably!
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 13-Mar-16: B.A.S.H. meeting (Jim Hildreth, brewing demonstration)
- 10-Apr-16: B.A.S.H. meeting (Brad Klager, lager competition)
- 7-May-16: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstations)
- 15-May-16: B.A.S.H. meeting (NOTE: 3RD SUNDAY, John Daniels)
- 12-Jun-16: B.A.S.H. meeting (Walt Crawford, Irish Red Ale competition, 2015 BJCP 15A)
Thanks again Daniel and Jessica, congratulations Paul K, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at the Hildreth’s!