The December B.A.S.H. meeting was held in Calallen on Sunday the 11th, hosted by Carroll and Judy Pate. El Presidente Daniel Fearn called the meeting to order and thanked the Pates, who have hosted in December since everyone spoke Esperanto and drove flying cars. As usual, Treasurer Carroll reported a decent club balance.
In old business, Aggie Bill Hughen reported on his initial inquiries into a replacement for our existing 10’ X 20’ pain-in-the-ass shade canopy. A high-quality 10’ X 10’ Easy Up model will cost about $140 - $150. Lou Needleman offered to donate a cheap 10’ X 12’ model.
In new business, William Lee has a bucket of pilsner grain to give away. Carroll has surplus plastic conical fermenters and a 2-stage wort chiller, in exchange for a donation to the club. Steve Cook reported on the ongoing BJCP judge training class. We discussed options for the local March exam -- timing (1st Saturday ?) and administrators/proctors per BJCP guidelines.
As the meeting adjourned, we feasted on brisket and sausage, washing it down with a great lineup of new homebrews. Jim Hildreth offered up an American pale ale and Imperial Russian Stout, Paul Holder shared a dampfbier, Aggie Bill brought “The Great Pumpkin”, Carroll had a brown ale on tap, Mark Quade supplied a barleywine, Greg Sawyer showed up with a double IPA and Jeremy Van Horn delivered an apricot saison. Interesting commercial beers included Jim’s Guiness Nitro IPA, Sabrina Krueger’s Ballast Point Watermelon Dorado and Pineapple Sculpin, Lou’s Shiner Holiday Cheer and Tennent’s Whiskey Oak-aged Beer and Phil Sims’ 101 North Brewing Stigmata Red Rye Ale and Choc Beer Company Winter Stout.
What about the demonstration brew? Instead of making a batch of beer, Daniel and Carroll used Daniel’s grainfather rig to make several jugs of wort starters, using Maris Otter and Special Black malt. Carroll then pressure cooked the jugs to sanitize them. Carroll estimated a use-by date of 2542 A.D. and plans to squirrel away a couple of jugs to continue brewing at his retirement bungalow on Mars. Judy will have to bring her own Prosecco.
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 8-Jan-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Tom Freund, Iron Mash XIII judging)
- 12-Feb-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Daniel Fearn, Dark European Lager competition, BJCP 8A-8B)
- 12-Mar-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Chris Swanson, brewing demonstration)
- 9-Apr-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Walt Crawford, specialty IPA competition, BJCP 21B)
- 6-May-17: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 21-May-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (John Daniels)
- 11-Jun-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (William Lee, extract competition, BJCP open category)
- 9-Jul-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate hosted by Paul Holder)
- 13-Aug-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, British golden ale/Australian sparkling ale competition, BJCP 12A-B)
- 10-Sep-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Mark Woerner, brewing demonstration)
Thanks again Carroll and Judy, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at the Freund’s !