The August B.A.S.H. meeting and pool party was held on Sunday the 10th at Nick Nicoll’s condo on the island. Club President Cory Mathews called the meeting to order. Treasurer Carroll Pate gave another rosy report. Paul Holder mentioned that the pre-Classic Brew tasting scheduled for next month at Railroad Seafood Station was disallowed by the TABC. The shirts that Paul hoped to distribute at the meeting won’t be ready until Monday. American Embroidery on SPID now has the B.A.S.H. logo in their computer. You will be able to bring them a shirt in the future and get the logo embroidered for about $5. Thanks, Paul, for making new club nametags. If you don’t see yours in the box, let him know. In other Paul business, he has a contact with about 200 clean 12-ounce bottles to get rid of. See Paul for the phone number.
Tom Freund is looking for several 4-man brewing teams for November’s Iron Mash. Carroll mentioned that the Unitarian/Universalist Church will have beer/bratwurst tasting on September 1.
The competition this month was for Saison, BJCP category 16C. Mark Quade captured 1st place with 138 points. Kevin Ramler took home 2nd with 127 points. Wild Bill Lehfeld’s basil Saison took 3rd with 123 points and his citrus Saison finished 4th with 117 points. After four of six competitions this year, cumulative scores are as follows:
- Wild Bill – 6
- Kevin Ramler – 5
- Mark Quade - 4
- Mark Woerner – 4
- Cory Mathews/Drew Burkhardt – 1
- Chris Edwards – 1
As we feasted on Nick’s juicy burgers, we swilled down the competition beers and new homebrews from Tom (New Albion Munich Amber), Paul (wit), Wild Bill (Devastator Doppelbock), Jason Merry (New Zealand IPA/American IPA) and Kevin (hefeweizen). Commercial brews spotted included Green Flash Road Warrior Rye IPA (Adam Klager), Lazy Beach Bock/Real Ale Brewer’s Cut Signature Hop Pale Ale/Odell St. Lupulin Extra Pale Ale (Cory Mathews), New Belgium Fat Tire (Nick) and Green Flash Le Freak (Carroll). We all missed Travis Clapp who was off fighting fires with the National Park Service. As Paul would say, “We always knew Travis was a hoser, but now he’s getting paid for it!”
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 14-Sep-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Adam Klager, brewing demonstration)
- 12-Oct-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Claudio Montiel, bock competition, BJCP 5A-D)
- 1-Nov-14: Iron Mash XI (B&Js Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 9-Nov-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Andrew Herzig/Sabrina Krueger, barleywine competition, BJCP 19B/19C)
- 14-Dec-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Carroll Pate, brewing demonstration)
- 11-Jan-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Tom Freund, Iron Mash XI judging)
- 8-Feb-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, Fruit/Smoked/Wood Aged competition, BJCP 20A, 22A-C)
Thanks again Nick, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at Adam’s!