Chris and Sue Swanson hosted the March B.A.S.H. meeting on Sunday the 12th at their home in Corpus Christi. El Presidente Daniel Fearn was again working at his OTHER job, so Vice President Mike Wojdyla called the meeting to order. Treasurer “Cretaceous” Carroll Pate gave another positive report. Steve Cook was able to talk the BJCP into fully funding the airfare of the Missouri judge for the certification exam, which saved us some money.
In new business, the AHA’s Big Brew is coming up the 1st Saturday in May. Paul Holder presented the AHA’s three beers for this year – “Rushmore” American IPA, “Battre L’oie” Saison and “Klang Freudenfest” Oktoberfest lager. Extract and all-grain recipes exist for each style. As always, the club will buy the ingredients and we will drink the results during the August meeting. Philip Mooney and Cody Martin volunteered to brew the Oktoberfest. Let Paul know at or before the April meeting if you are interested in brewing one of the other styles. Paul also announced that he has some pouches of Australian ale yeast sequestered away at Liquid Town for the August competition.
After this quick meeting adjourned, we engorged ourselves on fajitas. Wild Bill Lehfeld provided the entertainment by dyeing his mustache green for Saint Patrick’s Day (courtesy of a cupcake with green frosting). New homebrews debuted from Walt Crawford (“Hophead” double IPA), Tom Freund (sweet stout), Paul (milk stout), Philip (hefeweizen), host Chris (“Presidential” Irish Stout) and Jeremy Van Horn (hoppy American lager). Several commercial beers appeared including Tom’s Karbach Weekend Warrior Pale Ale and Lou Needleman’s Sierra Blanca Pale Ale.
As expected, a few interesting comments were overheard –
- Carroll – “I just want to show you what I did. I’m not showin’ off!”
- Rusty Keyes – “Is there a pole involved?”
- Carroll – “I’m not fast” Chris – “No, you’re ‘half-assed’!”
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 9-Apr-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Daniel Fearn, specialty IPA competition, BJCP 21B)
- 6-May-17: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 21-May-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (John Daniels, note: 3rd Sunday)
- 11-Jun-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (William Lee, extract competition, BJCP open category)
- 9-Jul-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate hosted by Paul Holder)
- 13-Aug-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, British golden ale/Australian sparkling ale competition, BJCP 12A-B)
- 10-Sep-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Mark Woerner, brewing demonstration)
- 8-Oct-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, pale malty European lager competition, BJCP 4A-C)
Thanks again Chris and Sue, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at the Fearn’s !