The March B.A.S.H. meeting was held on Sunday the 9th at Youga Yoga Studio in downtown Corpus Christi, hosted by Lindy Burns. The club’s President and Vice President were missing, so we drafted Paul Holder to run the meeting. Paul began by welcoming new member Walt Crawford. Treasurer Carroll Pate reported that the club balance was back up to healthy levels after an influx of dues and a dearth of expenses.
We signed a sympathy card for Theresa Thomas, in memory of Allston Crawford. Member John Milan is recovering well from his recent surgery. That’s right, he’s STILL NOT DEAD. The Grim Reaper came a’ callin’ and John sent that sickle-carrying wraith packing (but not before selling him a couple of pounds of beef jerky).
The Big Brew, a celebration of National Homebrew Day is coming up on Saturday, May 3 at 11:00 a.m. This outdoor brewing demonstration is open to the public. Three recipes have been provided by the American Homebrew Association this year – a pale ale, a schwarzbier and an imperial stout. The club will provide the ingredients, and the completed beers will be consumed at the July meeting. Paul and Aggie Bill Hughen have volunteered to brew the pale ale. Kyle Hotz will brew a 15-gallon batch and cask-condition half. If you are interested in brewing at this event, contact Paul. We need to finalize plans at the April meeting. Speaking of the April meeting, host Mark Woerner will provide bratwurst, buns, sauerkraut, mustard and onions. His suggested sides for guests to bring are beans, salad and potato salad (especially German).
There was no competition this month. While we enjoyed a variety of food, we were treated to new homebrews from Robin Baker/Christyn Overstake (dry, still wit-flavored mead), John Cicola (amber ale), Chris Edwards (dry-hopped IPA and porter), Paul (amber ale) and Josh Stacey (red ale). Interesting commercial beers included Danna Sharpe’s Saint Arnold Bishops Barrel No 6 Imperial Pumpkin Stout, Chris Swanson’s Rogue Russian Imperial Stout and Rogue Yellow Snow IPA and Mark Woerner’s Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu. As we watched whirling dervishes perform with hula hoops, Lindy turned off the fluorescent lights and turned on the cluster of hanging ceramic lamps created by member Kevin Ramler. What a show!
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 13-Apr-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Mark Woerner, American IPA/Imperial IPA competition, BJCP 14B/14C)
- 3-May-14: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 18-May-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (3rd Sunday, John and Nikki Daniels)
- 8-June-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Danna Sharpe, German wheat/rye beer competition, BJCP 15A-D)
- 13-July-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Paul Holder, brewing demonstration)
- 2-Aug-14: Mead Day (need host, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 10-Aug-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, Saison competition, BJCP 16C)
- 14-Sep-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, brewing demonstration)
- 12-Oct-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Claudio Montiel, bock competition, BJCP 5A-D)
- 1-Nov-14: Iron Mash XI (B&Js Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 9-Nov-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Andrew Herzig/Sabrina Krueger, barleywine competition, BJCP 19B/19C)
- 14-Dec-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Carroll Pate, brewing demonstration)
Thanks again Lindy, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at Mark Woerner’s (as always, with your own glass)!