Brad Klager hosted the November B.A.S.H. meeting on Sunday the 13th. El Presidente Daniel Fearn called the meeting to order, thanking Brad and welcoming prospective members Brandon Harper and Cale Moore. Treasurer “Cretaceous” Carroll Pate reported a favorable club balance.
In new business, William Lee announced that he is looking to buy corny kegs. Aggie Bill Hughen explained that the 10’ X 20’ B.A.S.H. shade canopy is getting worn out and is a pain to erect. He and Daniel will research replacement options and will present a recommendation at the December meeting. Members agreed to discuss Iron Mash procedures again in June. The club agreed to start “official” B.A.S.H. visits to local brewpubs/microbreweries, beginning this Saturday at Lorelei Brewing at 4:00 p.m.
The competition this month was for Russian Imperial Stout. Greg Sawyer’s entry earned three points with the win, with a judge’s score of 194. Wild Bill Lehfeld earned two points for 2nd place with a score of 166. Vic Aguilar rounded out the scoring with one point for 3rd place with a score of 142. Daniel’s entry received a judge’s score of 78. After all six club competitions, cumulative scores are as follows:
- Wild Bill – 10 points
- Greg Sawyer – 5 points
- Vic Aguilar – 4 points
- Mark Quade – 3.5 points
- John Daniels – 3 points
- Jim Hildreth – 3 points
- Paul Kalaghan – 3 points
- Andrew Herzig/Sabrina Krueger – 1.5 point
Wild Bill is thus 2016 homebrewer of the year and will be recognized next month. As the meeting concluded, we feasted on Brad’s ground beef and salmon blinis and beefy borscht that was hard to “beet”. Besides the competition beers we enjoyed new homebrews by Paul Holder (Belgian pale ale), Aggie Bill (“Jolly Rancher” raspberry and watermelon lambics) and Jeremy Van Horn (American pale ale). Interesting commercial beers included host Brad’s Freetail Berliner Weiss, William Lee’s Shock Top Belgian White, John Milan’s Stella Artois, Wehenstephaner Hefeweizen and Erdinger Pikantus Weizenbock and Phil Sims’ 101 North Brewing Heroine IPA.
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 11-Dec-16: B.A.S.H. meeting (Carroll Pate, brewing demonstration)
- 8-Jan-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Tom Freund, Iron Mash XIII judging)
- 12-Feb-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Daniel Fearn, Dark European Lager competition, BJCP 8A-8B)
- 12-Mar-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Chris Swanson?, brewing demonstration)
- 9-Apr-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Walt Crawford, specialty IPA competition, BJCP 21B)
- 6-May-17: Big Brew (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 21-May-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (John and Nikki Daniels)
- 11-Jun-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (William Lee, extract competition, BJCP open category)
- 9-Jul-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (B&J’s Pizza on Staples at Timbergate hosted by Paul Holder)
- 13-Aug-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, British golden ale/Australian sparkling ale competition, BJCP 12A-B)
- 10-Sep-17: B.A.S.H. meeting (Mark Woerner, brewing demonstration)
Thanks again Brad, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at the Pate’s !
P.S. – John Milan is STILL NOT DEAD!!!