The October B.A.S.H. meeting on Sunday the 12th was hosted by Claudio and Jennifer Montiel. Club President Cory Mathews called the meeting to order. Treasurer Carroll Pate gave his usual positive report. Tom Freund gave an update on the upcoming Iron Mash XI. Six teams are signed up for this years’ competition/brewing demonstration.
On a sad note, member Alberto Rodriguez passed away recently. The club observed a moment of silence in his honor.
The competition this month was for bock beer, BJCP category 5A-D. Wild Bill Lehfeld’s “Devastator” doppelbock captured 1st place, Mark Quade took 2nd with his pale doppelbock and Wild Bill’s “WTB?”Maibock came in 3rd. Two ridiculously strong eisbocks entered by a member who wishes to remain anonymous rounded out the field. After five of six competitions this year, cumulative scores are as follows:
- Wild Bill – 10
- Mark Quade - 6
- Kevin Ramler – 5
- Mark Woerner – 4
- Cory Mathews/Drew Burkhardt – 1
- Chris Edwards – 1
As we enjoyed Claudio’s delicious kalua pork with cabbage and rice, we consumed the competition beers and new homebrews from A-Train Almandarez/Patrick Vials/Max Klassen (hoppy farmhouse ale), John Daniels and Mike Wojdyla (brown ale), Brent Falwell (watermelon apple cider/black IPA/ginger hibiscus saison/orange cream ale), Paul Holder (American pale ale) and Claudio/Mike Wojdyla (raspberry wheat). Commercial brews spotted included Sierra Nevada Torpedo (Craig Gann) and Lazy Beach Blonde Ale and Session IPA (Cory Mathews).
The great mystery that came out of this meeting is will the Mathews name their baby boy Travis Paul or Paul Travis?
Upcoming B.A.S.H. events:
- 1-Nov-14: Iron Mash XI (B&Js Pizza on Staples at Timbergate, multiple brewing demonstrations)
- 9-Nov-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Andrew Herzig/Sabrina Krueger, barleywine competition, BJCP 19B/19C)
- 14-Dec-14: B.A.S.H. meeting (Carroll Pate, brewing demonstration)
- 11-Jan-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Tom Freund, Iron Mash XI judging)
- 8-Feb-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (Walt Crawford, Fruit/Smoked/Wood Aged competition, BJCP 20A, 22A-C)
- 8-Mar-15: B.A.S.H. meeting (need host, brewing demonstration)
Thanks again Claudio and Jennifer, keep on brewin’ and we’ll see you next month at Iron Mash XI and at Andrew and Sabrina’s!